Tuesday, October 30, 2007

"Why didn't you tell me your Aunt was literate?"

--Little Glory Upson, the ditzy blonde, upon publication of "Live! Live! Live! by Mame Dennis Burnside


library.osu.edu

A number of months ago, Phillip called to tell me that he was applying for his dream job -- Health and Fitness Editor for PlanetOut. I told him he shouldn't have told me, because it was my dream job, too.

Before the BA in Chemistry, the PhD, and the MD, I was thinking about a career in journalism. I edited my grade school newspaper, my high school newspaper, news-letters at summer programs, and wrote and edited copy for a couple of the newspapers at JHU. I always enjoyed it, but it got pushed to the side on the quest to get to medical school, then residency. It made me a good science writer during my PhD years, but that was about all I did with my experience.

I never lost the bug, though. One of the reasons I started this blog was to get back to writing. It's was also one of the reasons I wanted to get back to an academic position, even if it meant moving to San Diego. I didn't sit down and think about how much I missed it, though, until I heard about the PlanetOut job. Especially since it offered the chance to be involved in the LGBT community in a positive way.

Phillip agreed I should apply, and I did, after some back door info gathering. In doing so, I realized that I probably wouldn't hire me for my writing, since I hadn't written anything other than "hard science" in over 10 years. I needed what my father called "some clippings". While I waited to hear back from PlanetOut, I e-mailed the editor of one of the new local community magazines, and asked if I could write a column.

I'm still waiting to hear from PlanetOut. But I'm celebrating my first column in the November issue of Rage.

No, I didnt' get to meet him. But the artwork in the magazine is INCREDIBLE! They've asked me for something for December, so I'm off to write it. But I wanted to take a minute to thank my various muses:

-- My Dad, the journalist and editor, who has been willing to read and edit everything I've written, and has been unbelievably encouraging.
-- Chad Fox, who got me to start this blog, which was definitely the first step. I miss your blog, and you, sweetheart.
-- Phillip, who told me about the job, got me started, and has been sending the good wishes ever since.
-- DanNation, who encourages every crazy idea I have. I hope I get around to more of them.
-- Jimmi, who's been a great friend since I guest starred on my first Variety Cast.
-- Renie, who's been telling me to get back into writing and politics since I've known her. (Added bonus to Renie -- I'm also involved in the emerging San Diego HRC community).
-- Sue (of Sue and Bob fame) whose been a blog supporter since I let it slip, and who has agreed to be my female BFF.
-- JC and his ex, who helped me get things off to PlanetOut.
-- The folks at Rage who are giving me a chance.

"Life's a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!"
-- Auntie Mame

Not me, I'm having a great time. Thanks, folks.

4 Comments:

At 12:11 AM, Blogger DanNation said...

Congrats, honey! I can't wait to read it. Hey, I have another crazy idea...

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Jimmi said...

That's awesome! You will have to put your story online because I don't think we get that magazine here.

Thanks for the sweet words ;)

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger xxxxx said...

Aaaah Auntie Mame is the mother I always wanted. Congrats on the article. I'll keep my eye out for it.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Phillip S. Huff said...

Go get 'em, tiger! I think I need an autographed copy of Rage sent my way...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free webpage hit counter