Monday, October 15, 2007

Mere Mortals

I usually take my lunch break in my office, check e-mail, and buzz cnn.com.

Today, I got floored. On the front page of cnnsi.com, I saw this headline: Kessler, 40, dies after heart attack.


www.ebaptisthealthcare.org

In case you didn't follow the link, let me tell you about this guy. He was a star for the University of Georgia basketball team. He was a 1st Round NBA draft pick (Miami Heat). Before he was picked, though, he applied to Emory Medical School, and was given a deferment. He got a phat contract and played for 4 years. Then he came back and went to medical school. With me.

It's hard to miss someone who's 6'7" during orientation, and the whispers started immediately. By the end of the first day, I think everyone knew we had a celebrity in our class -- with the possible exception of Alec. He could have taught Superman humility. He never brought up his basketball days, but was willing to discuss them if you wanted to. [He even played for our intramural team when the rest of us cut out for Mardi Gras.] He laughed along when we showed a slide of his basketball card in a lecture. He was always quietly near the top of the class, and willing to help anyone who asked. When he probably could have stood aloof, he came to most of the happy hours and parties with us, often accompanied by his fireball wife, Rhea, who was taking on City Hall to build a gazebo.

We ran in different crowds, but I consider him a good person and counted him as a friend. I see death everyday, and I've had family members die, but I don't think I've ever read the obituary of a friend. It's a little unsettling. Medical students are notorious for feeling immortal. I wasn't sure I was indestructible, but I would have bet Alec was. I've also been in CA 5 years, and felt like I could always catch up with my friends from medical school later. Guess I was wrong.

If anyone else from Emory happens to find this blog, send me something -- if you don't, I'll probably be tracking you down soon.

Trust me -- the world just lost a great doctor and a great guy. My sympathies to his wife and kids. Alec, may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows you're dead.

1 Comments:

At 12:13 AM, Blogger Jimmi said...

That was sweet what you wrote. Sorry for the loss of your friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free webpage hit counter