Sunday, October 14, 2007

In the Top Ten

I got out of work early Saturday and came home to watch Penn State vs. Wisconsin. Once my Lions had won, I switched over to the marathon Kentucky/LSU game. Through the drama, I must admit I was struck by Kentucky's sophomore place kicker. Good still face shot (which is rare), cute close-ups after his kicks, and an earring in each ear. (Seen here from scoreboards.aol.com)



I wasn't the only one who noticed him -- the national TV announcers made a comment. Something about how rare it was that a game saving kicker in the SEC would have both ears pierced. Note that many huge, manly running backs and wide receivers wear tons of jewelry. But a slight young kicker? That's news.

I don't know if my kicker is gay, straight, metro, or trying to be fashionable. And I don't think it matters. I'm not thrilled the announcers were so shocked by his appearance. But on national TV, for the first time I've heard, they basically said that your talent might be important to a football team even if you're perceived as less than macho. I think it's progress.

Kentucky's win vaulted them into the Top Ten and the national spotlight. Maybe a baby-faced kicker with two piercings brought some tolerance along for the ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free webpage hit counter