Thursday, September 20, 2007

Why was this man crying over an "amicus brief"?

signonsandiego.com

This is Jerry Sanders, the mayor of San Diego. I really didn't know much about him, except that he is a former police chief and a Republican.

In case you haven't been following the progress of the radical gay agenda, the California Supreme Court is soon to take up the question of whether or not California should allow gay marriages. As best I understand it, this is meant to encompass the lawsuits related to the weddings allowed in San Francisco and the constitutionality a California law restricting marriage to a union between a man and a woman.

A number of California cities have filed "friend of the court", or "amicus" briefs with the court in support gay marriage. The San Diego City Council considered filing a brief a few weeks ago, but the issue was tabled on a 4-4 vote when one expected ally of the LGBT community said she would not vote for the measure for procedural reasons. When the Council planned to take up the issue again, Mayor Sanders said he would veto any such measure. While the Council can override a mayoral veto with a simple majority, the time lag could have made it impossible for San Diego to file such a brief by next Wednesday's deadline.

There was little surprise when the City Council passed a resolution to file an amicus brief on Tuesday. What shocked many was the news yesterday that Mayor Sanders had changed his mind and would sign the bill.

His reason -- turns out his daughter is a lesbian. In his words, choking back tears:

"In the end, I could not look any of them in the face and tell them that their relationships -- their very lives -- were any less meaningful than the marriage that I share with my wife."

Amen, your honor.

I'm not quite as proud to be his constituent as I was to be Mayor Newsom and Speaker Pelosi's, but it's close. I may not vote for him, but I'll think about it. He probably has a lot of stances I don't like, but at least I know what he'll do when his heart and his politics collide. That's saying something these days. Whatever Kool-Aid he's been drinking, I wish he'd pass it along to some other politicians of both parties -- maybe even, as Sen. Clinton would say, Darth Vader.

upload.wikipedia.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free webpage hit counter