Thursday, September 14, 2006

Now what?

Thanks for the suggestions on the jobs and relocation. Seems like Austin is the choice of the blogosphere. Unfortunately, things got more difficult today, so I may need more advice.

It appears that my artfully placed requests for letters of reference and the hints I dropped about my interviews have finally hit the mark. Our negotiator called me today to say that my contract was on his desk. He's going to look it over, then give it to me. Unless things have changed since the "dummy" I saw, it says I have to give them 90 days notice if I am leaving (if I sign it).

If they had done this two months ago, or even two weeks ago, I would have been thrilled and signed it; however, I've started to enjoy the idea of a different job. It may have been a defense mechanism to prepare myself if they screwed me, but I've at least half convinced myself it's time to move on to the next phase.

This leaves me in a bit of a bind. I will NOT cancel the Austin interview since it's next week, and I really have until October 1 to sign the contract, so that shouldn't be a problem. I am not sure, however, what to do about the Hawaii job if I get an interview. Should I:

1) Ditch the Hawaii option
2) Sign the contract, and break it if I need to (there are ways)
3) Sign the contract, take the interview, but tell them I couldn't start until January 1. (This one feels the most honorable to me.)

Further, should I apply to the Denver and Arizone jobs I saw last night? What about Emory?

This would probably really bother me, except that I had a date with WCB tonight, and he likes me. Lord knows why, but it feels good.

1 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Blogger Kelicious said...

I would hold off on Emory, that's where you want to end up evenutally, but it's too soon to head there just yet. Skip Denver, send your resume to Arizona. Go on the Austin interview, but do not sign your contract until the day you have to. Always keep your options open.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free webpage hit counter