Saturday, August 12, 2006

Red Hot

(Editor's Note: If the timing on this seems a little weird, it's because I started it Thursday, but got distracted by Kel and the meme. On with the show...)

One of my colleagues and I keep changing our schedules, so I had an unexpected day off. No reason not to spend some of it blogging. This theme came to mind for at least a triad of reasons, so I thought I’d roll with it.

Red Hot Terror Alert
Unless you were under something this week, you probably know that the terror alert was raised to Red for flights from Britain to the US, and Orange in general. (I’d like to thank my former governor, Tom Ridge, for this high tech nomenclature.) Great job to everyone involved in stopping this threat. It may or may not have had something to do with recent policies, but I’m not going to give President Bush all of the credit. It would be better if we were also working on policies that made people want to attack us less.

It frightens me, though, that the idea of liquids and gels being combined to make an explosive, detonated by wiring from a “personal electronic device”, is some kind of epiphany. Have you ever heard of plastic (plastique) explosive? I guess those little cloths rubbed on some of the carry-ons are supposed to pick it up, but I ain’t buyin’. Liquids are an even less shocking form of combustible given that we apparently busted someone planning to do something similar in 1993.

By the way, I don’t think keeping all liquids out of carry-on bags will end the threat. Planes harbor many items that are inherently combustible. One of my own scary thoughts – oxygen. I fly cheap, and happened to be in the back stowing my carry-on when I noticed a tank of what appeared to be compressed oxygen on the plane. Presumably the very one that supplies the oxygen for your mask “in case of a sudden drop in cabin pressure”. If you are near that with anything with which you can make a spark (say a flint neckless charm and your Fossil STEEL watch) you now have a bomb. I hope the airlines see this and hide/lock that thing before the FBI comes to my door for writing this. Unless, of course, they want me to think of strange dangers – I am a chemistry major with a warped mind. Don’t get me started on the possibilities of presricption nitroglycerine. They’ll serve you the water – someone would just have to get the sulfur/sulfuric acid on the plane.

I’m looking less forward to my flight to Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday, but I’m going. Early. And Delta better not price gouge me for beverages now that I can’t bring them with me (they’ll be in the doghouse with USscare).

For the record, I’d have the government eliminate carry-on baggage before I’d have them tap my phone. “Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither…” – Benjamin Franklin.

Red Hot Country
The heat wave continues in some parts of the country (www.accuweather.com). Given the discussion above, I want to point out something. I would bet that heat-related deaths in the past five years are on the same order of magnitude as deaths in the WTC attacks. Which makes global warming as big a threat as global terrorism. Unlike global terrorism, thought, it is a threat we can each do something about. To start, we can save some energy – walk more, turn off lights, and support renewable energy sources. In November, we can speak at the ballot box. I’ll stop here, since I can’t get holier than Thou until I chuck the Mustang for a Prius, which will not happen until the Prius gets a lot better looking.

Let’s take a moment here for those who could do something personal about terrorism and did. To the folks from United 93, the NYPD, and the FDNY, and their families – Thanks, and we forgot you too fast. Once upon a time, there was talk of making September 11 a holiday, possible called Patriot’s Day, to honor the men and women who aren’t in the military (Memorial Day and Veterans’ Day) but who risk their lives for this country. I’m all for it.

Red Hot – Me (and Him)
On a happier note, I went to my new Starbucks this morning to get some work done. I didn’t see WCB at first, but he was in the back room and came out later. He chatted with me for a while, and told me he was recently promoted. He then started introducing me to other staff members – apparently he had “told them about me”, and they kept him up to date when I had been there in his absence. We then tasted some coffee – apparently he has to become familiar with all of the coffees so he can help match customer palates.

When I had to go, I said “I’ll see you this weekend. I’ll come by on my way to work.”

Sadly, he replied, “I have this weekend off. Maybe next week.” At that point, I had to remind him that I would be gone a week for the World Series of Gay Softball. So he said, “Then when you get back. Maybe we could go somewhere.”

“I’d ask you to coffee, but that seems silly." Joel, you old smoothie.

“No, coffee’s a good place to start. I’ll still go for coffee, even on my days off.”

So, I think I have a date pending with the World’s Cutest Barista. By the way, I saw his last name today, and it’s less likely that he’s Brazilian. Besides, that information was only from one source, whose been known to do sketchy background research in the past (a future blog).

Other reasons I feel Red Hot:

I was the MVP of the Cardinal Sins softball team – thanks guys and gals!
My butt and legs were being complimented by a number of hot people Sunday (I am a sucker for compliments about anything involving my physique).
My colleague took this picture of me. I'm not so sure it's so great, but my colleague loved it, and she's my #1 fashion consultant. And yes, the shirt is cheesy, but I loves me some cheese.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free webpage hit counter