Tuesday, February 06, 2007

86,400 seconds

How do you measure a day?

See what watching RENT will do to you?

Some days are circled in red on the calendar before they start. Some encompass a life changing event. Most, I think, are just the summation of a bunch of little things. For some unknown reason, I was thinking about that this morning, and kept a log of some of the little moments that made up my day.

---I didn't have to be at work until around 9 this morning, so I was trying to sleep in a little. At 0655, my pager went off. "Critical bed shortage at Thorton [hospital]. Make sure your patients are out ASAP." Given that I'm not even working at Thornton this week, I was not amused. I also couldn't get back to sleep. Net (-).

---My department bought us all Ipod Shuffles, and I used mine for the first time. There is a certain exhilaration in not knowing what comes next, and fun in the mix generated. Here are the first 7 songs played by my Shuffle:

I Walk the Line
I'm Gonna Get You
Night and Day
Rapture
Chains of Love
[Something, I think by Moby, that I didn't know I had]
Dancin' in the Dark

It's a little frightening how strange my musical collection is, but I give it a (+)

---I've had my eye on a cutie who works at Bread and Cie in Hillcrest. I thought he was looking back (and he may have been), but today he had a thick band on his LEFT ring finger. (-) for me, hopefully a (+) for him. On second thought, he was no WCB, and at least I know it's just for the tips, so maybe it's a wash.

---There was a lady on Washington St. who had pulled into the crosswalk to make a left. She didn't get to do so. When she saw me walking across the street, she backed up. I smiled and waved. She smiled back. I like responsible, courteous people. (+)

---The pager again. Someone who wanted to transfer a patient paged me. OK. But they didn't give me a phone number -- just their pager. I will NEVER understand this. I can think of very few circumstances in which this is necessary. Otherwise, it just says (1) I'm stupid, or (2) you think that your time is more valuable than mine, since you can't be tied down to a phone, but I can be. Given that you need something from me, that's a pretty haughty assumption. Big (-)

---My NewsWeeks caught up with my new address, so I have reading material for the gym. (+)

---I saw an add touting the benefits of the Medicare Prescription Drug program. No mention of the "donut hole" or the drugs no one will cover. Surprise! It was paid for by the Pharma group. Could it be they wouldn't benefit from MediCare negotiating drug costs? Jury's still out -- the right media spin and it could backfire.

---On my way to the gym, I saw a package. I checked the name to ensure it wasn't mine. It turns out there is someone in my building is named Vincent Price. Love it. Muuhahahaha. (+)

---Pager again, this time combined with Murphy's Law. I left work around 2, and made it home, to the gym, and thru shopping at Ralph's without the pager going off. Between Ralph's and home, now carrying 3 bags of groceries and my backpack, I got paged 3 times. All 3 were people who paged me because they couldn't take the time to find or deal with the right person. (-)

---Walking home from the gym, a guy was pulling into the crosswalk to make a right on red. He was looking left until the moment he almost hit me. Poor form, but he did wave with a sincere look when I passed. Screwed up, but took responsibility. A wash.

---Met with my team, and we only had 5 new admissions by 1930. (++)

---New and cool episode of SVU. (+), even though their wasn't much Chris Maloney.

---Having time to blog on the new job. (+)

I think I give today a B+. If any of the e-mails I put on Match.com go anywhere, I may have to revise this later. Hope your total for the day was as good.

1 Comments:

At 8:37 PM, Blogger digital t-square said...

It's fun to read your accounts of the neighborhood. I hope it's being good to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free webpage hit counter