Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Shopping

I have always enjoyed shopping more than the average man. When I end up in the "How did you NOT know?" conversation, it's usually listed as one of the overlooked clues, along with the fact that I "invented" gray frosting for a cake I made.

www.allsop.com
Today, I went out to look for some things for my new apartment. I started at Circuit City, where I have a coupon from my change of address packet. I was looking for an LCD TV, a small surround sound stereo, and an entertainment center. I like to look by myself first, then grab someone when I have questions or am ready to buy. Usually I have to answer the barrage of "Can I help you with anything" with my tersest "Thanks, I'm just looking for now." Today, no one in a red shirt even looked in my direction. Considering I might be emitting a "Leave me alone" vibe, I went over by the TVs and tried to look needy. Still nothing.

So I went and stood by customer service for about 5 minutes. Two guys were helping one patron with a return. They neither looked in my direction nor offered me a "We'll be right with you." Back to the TV's. Same result.

So, after 1/2 hour, I left. Off to IKEA. On the way, I noticed a CostCo.

www.usatoday.com
I've never been a CostCo guy, but I remembered friends telling me that they have EVERYTHING, including TVs and furntiture. So I thought I'd check it out. I got 3 feet through the door when a woman asked to see my membership card.

"I don't have one," I replied.

"You can't go in without one," she said. In most limited access places, this is where one would receive an invitation to apply for membership. Like an African American at Augusta (El Tigre not withstanding), I received silence.

So I asked, "How would I become a member?"

With a stunned look, she said, "Oh, you just go right over there. Would you be interested?"

"Not in that line," I answered, pointing to the queue of 20 people. "Can I walk around and look at the prices to help me decide?"

Apparently not. So I left. Strike 2.

I then went to IKEA. Nothing specifically bad, though I did discover that the practice of walking and looking in different directions was not as limited to Chinatown as I had hoped. Unfortunately, I'm trying to match some things I have, and nothing there fit the bill. So I had my $1 yogurt and left. On the upside, I didn't buy my usual panoply of cheap shit from the last room. Also, I got the Mustang cleaned yesterday and the weather was nice enough to have the top down.

So Circuit City and CostCo are now "on notice". I have some work to do in the morning -- and then I'm going to Best Buy to see if they'll honor my Circuit City coupon. If not, I may go back, but not to the same one.

www.allsop.com
Does anyone know where I can get a contemporary queen size sofa bed?

Post Script -- I'm writing this as I watch the Sopranos on A & E. The priest got drunk and flirted with Carmela, then spent the night. In the morning she said, "Of all the ?fanut? priests in the world, why did I have to get the one who's straight." Love it. I thought the italics were Italian slang, but I couldn't find it in any of the dictionaries. Now I think A & E just bleeped "fuckin".

3 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Try Room and Board (but don't you dare by the sofa I want!)

Hugs,
Michael

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Phillip S. Huff said...

Ok, honey, I have to say that I was a *little* surprised at the Augusta comment. Betch, you know I hella used to live there and I had hella great times. WTF? You just like an Atlanta betch, uh-huh.

In any case, I've found that the locally owned stores usually offer the best bets. I purchased most of my home furnishings at local establishments -in Augusta nonetheless- and got great service and wonderful stuff. And you've been in my bed a few times. You know it's hella comfy :)

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Joel said...

I meant the golf course.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free webpage hit counter