Monday, January 08, 2007

Irreplaceable


"To the left, to the left.
Everything you own
in a box
to the left."

Everyone wants to know if I'm "ready" to move. Here's the skinny.
I've been ready to leave my job for some time.
I'm ready to start teaching again, so I'm ready for my new job in San Diego.
I'm ready for the adventure of moving somewhere new.
And I'm not remotely ready to leave San Francisco.

Though watching the movers helped a little.



I wanted to have a Bon Voyage party, but never quite got it together. So JC and Pauly decided I should just have people come to The Mix. I sent out an E-vite Saturday afternoon saying I would be watching football and saying good-byes in the back of The Mix on Sunday.



I was floored by the number of people who came to say good-bye on a day's notice. It was an eclectic crowd, including people from residency, softball players, pool players, bloggers, and current and past (and future?) flames. It's been a long time since I've felt The Love like that. I'm going to steal a page from Kel's blog, and clear up just how I feel about some folks. Get the tissues ready, because I'm going to get sappy. If you thought I wouldn't:

"You must not know 'bout me,
You must not know 'bout me."

Speaking of Kel, my time with the bloggers was too short. Dan and Nick, this includes you. You are brilliant fun people, and life will be boring without you in town. Thank God I have you on-line.

Cailin, Ethan, and Kate, it was so sweet of you to come by. You proved, once again, that bonds forged by 100+ hours/week together can't be broken by time or distance. And I know Jimmi and Warren were there in spirit. Sue, sorry you couldn't make it, but I'll see you soon. I would have changed jobs a year ago if it weren't for you. It's going to be weird to wake up Friday and NOT see you at work. To my favorite Faith Evans look-a-like, thanks for the cake.

Will, Cody, Joe, Horatio, and Geena -- thank you so much (and Aaron, I'm going to group you with the cult, just to churn your stomach). I can't believe I've only been playing softball here for a year and have so many great friends. It was easiest to say good-bye to you, because I know I'll see most of you in Palm Springs next weekend. Then the eye faucets will open up again.

JC, Pauly, Russell, and Roger -- I'll think of you every Tuesday night for a long, long time. Renie getting me to hang out at The Mix has to be one of the best things to ever happen to me. I had no idea that shooting a little pool would allow me to meet the best people in the Castro. And thanks to Gil, Ian, and Charlie who have been more than just bartenders to me.

Phillip, I have no idea what to say to you. I'm glad to know you, and I know I'll see you soon. And thank you for bringing Kyser and Wes around. Jean, thanks for putting me up, and putting up with me. I'm still not sure how I met my partner in crime at a straight poker game.

Finally...Chad, you get your own paragraph. You are living proof that telling nasty jokes can have benefits. I can't actually separate you and San Francisco in my mind. For you SAT folks, an analogy: Chad Fox is to San Francisco as Charlie is to Badlands. You are the heart and soul of the place, and it would never be the same without you. You're stuck with me as family. I saw this today, and it made me think of you. Especially since it was graffiti on the sidewalk.


I've got a two bedroom condo in San Diego, so there's room for visitors. And the guest bathtub has whirlpool jets. I hope to host any and all of you soon.

And EVERY second:
"get to thinking that you're irreplaceable
."

Because you all are.

4 Comments:

At 12:43 AM, Blogger DanNation said...

We'll miss you tons - it's TOO soon! We'll see you in San Diego.

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger DanNation said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger xxxxx said...

Have a safe trip. Welcome to San Diego.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Phillip S. Huff said...

You're most definitely irreplaceable. Missing you around here but certainly glad to know that you're enjoying your adventure in SD. I'll be down soon enough :)

Kyser & Wesley say hey. MEXICO!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free webpage hit counter