Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Adopted Again

I love my parents, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. With my week on/week off schedule, I've made it home more this year than I have in ages (unfortunately one trip was for my Grammy's funeral). It's been 15 years, though, since I've actually lived at home in Erie.

During that time, I was in school/residency and rarely made it home more than once or twice annually. This would have been an even bigger drag, except that I've always been the kind of guy that my friends would take on trips home, at least to drive if not to add to the fun. As my friend Bryan said, "I don't have to worry about you having fun. If I put a beer in your hand, by the time I get back my friends will like you more than they like me." Not quite true, but it got him a ride home to New Orleans and time to hook up with his fiance. His other famous quote, after I made tacos and fajitas, was: "You'll make someone a great bitch someday." How did I NOT know?!

Since college, I've accumulated adopted parents is West Nyack, Pittsburg, Chalmette, Slidell, and LA. Last weekend, I think I was blessed enough to add another set.

One of my friends in SF had his parents in town, and granted me the honor of meeting them. I'd already met his siblings, and spoken to his Mom on the phone (on an odd evening), but this was the first time I'd met his parents in person. Since I don't have his/their permission, I won't name names, but his family is geographically and culturally close to my own. We met for drinks near Union Square, and it took me about 30 seconds to feel at home with them.

I saw a visit coming, so I had cleaned up my apartment a bit (not enough) before I left to meet them. We all came back to my place for drinks and to hang. As you may have read, I am having a crisis of employment, and my parents were in Greece and unreachable. My friends parents subbed in nicely, gave me great advice, and, I think, really cared. After drinks on my deck, they took us to dinner in North Beach. Then we had dessert and more wine at their son's pad.

9 straight days of work, job issues, and suddenly feeling comfortable led me to tip back quite a bit of wine. Regrettably, I dropped a few f-bombs in front my friend's folks (much to his chagrin), but they didn't seem to mind terribly. I can tell I respect them and would care what they think, because I'd hate for them to know what happened at Badlands later. Such is life.

I ran into them on the street a couple of days later, and we had another wonderful chat. They demanded to be kept posted on what happens with my job, and gave me even more good advice. Thank God for them -- it gave me a 5 day advance on exactly what my own parents said when they got back from Greece.

They also found out that I, like their son, have a blog. If you're reading this, Mr. and Mrs. ____:
1) Thanks for dinner
2) Thanks for the advice
3) Hope to see you again soon
4) Sorry for the F-bombs

For the rest of you -- adopt your child's friends when you get the chance. Even 33 year olds need to know they have caring family around.

1 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Blogger Chox said...

Go ahead. It's okay. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free webpage hit counter