Friday, January 18, 2008

"My" House: The saga continues

Any one remember "The Empire Strikes Back", because this is FAR from "A New Hope".

"I have altered the deal. Pray I do not alter it further."
-- Darth Vader

That's about how I feel about the house.

As you may remember from 2 posts ago, our hero had been told he would get the keys to his new house last week, only to find out that the evil Seller had not paid off their debts.

January 17, 2008 -- My agent texts me to say that I have to resign all of my loan documents, and asks when I would have time on Friday. Turns out Seller took too long, and B of A couldn't use the same ones.
Given I would be post call, with a lot of new patients, I told him Friday probably wouldn't work. He said that if I didn't sign Friday, we couldn't close until Tuesday at the earliest, when my Dad is supposed to arrive for our vacation. He assured me (because Escrow had assured him) that Seller had done all of their stuff, and this would be the last thing. So I asked why we couldn't do it that night.
After talking to escrow, skipping the gym, and breaking a date, I was at my house waiting for a Notary to arrive from Irvine. It was the same guy as before, I signed the papers again, and he left. My agent called to make sure everything had gone OK, and told me that I would have the keys today.

January 18, 2008. I was more or less getting through my first 8 hours of work by thinking about having my friends over to my house when my agent texted me. Apparently the escrow company (about as useful as the Imperial Senate) couldn't confirm some of Sellers payments. So we couldn't close, and I couldn't get my keys. I called Escrow myself, and no one could explain how this was possible, given that I had been told that "everything else was done". So I skipped a date and the gym (and thereby more dates) for NOTHING. I resisted the temptation to let my overly optimistic agent have it, until he said "Escrow is upset as you are. We're all upset". That was it. I explained to him that we could all get in a room in see who was the most upset. He shut up.
So now I won't have my house until Tuesday, if ever. You think I'd have learned my lesson about getting excited -- but I never do (probably why I'm supporting Obama). I did learn something though -- I called my guy at B of A to make sure I won't have to sign documents again if they drag it out until next Thursday.
And, for the record, my banker, and Bank of America, have been the most stalwart, honest, and professional part of this whole thing. A pleasant surprise from a big company.

The saga continues...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free webpage hit counter