Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Random Bits of Happiness

Yesterday turned out to be a great day for a number of random reasons, which may or may not have been related. So I thought I'd share. I'll try to distill some wisdom at the end -- if you're in a hurry, just scroll down.

I got up late and did my laundry, after which I wanted to get my hair cut. I had tried to do it over the weekend, but the barbershops in The Stro told me they were booked or weren't taking any more walk-ins. I find this odd for a barbershop, but they're admittedly a different breed($22?!?). So I went over to Geary Street in The Rich (near where I used to live) and strolled down the street, passing the barbershops, and guessing how long the wait would be. I ended up a shop to which I had never been. The jury may be out on the stylishness of the cut, but he did what I asked (I ended up doing the "like that guy" thing). More importantly, he finished up by razor shaving the neck and sideburns and using the massager on my neck and shoulders. I love that, and hadn't experienced it in a while. And all for 1/2 the price of what I pay in The Stro.

Tuesday is pool league night, and we were playing at The Mix. Post massage, I went to the match relaxed, and won two of the three games I played. As I'd never actually won a league game, I was stoked. Also, the boys seemed to like the 'do, and my teammate Scottie brought me some new shaving gels/lotions to try. Gotta lose the bumps.

In the midst of the match, the closed captioning showed that the California Assembly had passed a bill (already passed by the Senate) making marriage in California gender neutral. Thank you Mark Leno. No small news, especially in the Castro. One of the members of the other team bought a round of drinks for the bar. I find that to be an incredibly generous gesture, especially since you don't know how much you're in for until afterwards.

After the match, I shot a friendly game of pool with an off-duty bartender from The Mix. I'd spoken with him a number of times, but never at length. He was having a bit of a rough night, and we chatted. He invited me to go to Trannyshack at the Stud with him. I'd never been, so we hopped in a cab, where he warned me I might lose him because he would have to make the rounds. Having said that, he made sure it never happened. A wonderful guide, he introduced me to a ton of people, many of whom bought us drinks. The show itself was AWESOME. It was "Indie Rock" night, and I'm still laughing about the tranny in a women's business suit singing "I want a cookie". I even got a little closer to one of the performers than I had planned, at which time I found my friend and told him I was in a bit over my head. So I stuck with him until I left.

Wheel of morality turn, turn, turn. Tell us the lessons that we must learn. (Don't cha love the Animaniacs?)
--DO go to an old school barber every once in a while
--DO hang out at The Mix
--DON'T give up on gay marriages yet
--DO write to Ah-nold so he doesn't veto the bill
--DO buy a round of drinks sometime
--DON'T miss Trannyshack. If memory serves, Linda Lavin will be judging a "Come as your favorite Alice character" show next week.

FYI - The closest word to Animaniacs in my spell checker is "inhumanness".

Until next time...Kiss my grits!!!

1 Comments:

At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a excellent blog. Keep it going. This may be of interest to you; how to buy & sell everything, like car auction on interest free credit; pay whenever you want.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free webpage hit counter