Friday, December 02, 2005

Chairs and Chairmen


I was going to write a short post about my new furniture, but that was Saturday. Since I didn't get around to it for a week, and there are some other things I wanted to mention, you're getting the usual stream of consciousness with a loose titular connection. If you just want to see the rest of the new furniture, skip to the end. I'm going to make my other points first.

The Chair of St. Peter reiterated this week that gay men shouldn't be priests. They did leave the door open for men who have overcome homosexual tendencies, if they haven't been part of gay culture (whatever the hell that means). Disappointing, but no big surprise -- though the phrase "judge not lest ye be judged" comes to mind. What really got my goat is when Alias, now officially (and tragically) in its last season, was preempted by a biopic on John Paul II. (Picture from www.omm.org)

A shout out to Marine General Peter Pace, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. I was raised in a pacifist Democratic household, where we were generally taught that it was important to have civilian control as a check on the military. These days I'm more suspect of the civilian command (read politicians), and I'm glad the military commanders, as well as the men and women on the ground, are keeping honor in the establishment. Case in point: a recent press conference during which Secretary Rumsfeld suggested that U.S. troops should REPORT any acts of torture performed by Iraqi soldiers. With Sec. Rumsfeld still on stage, Gen. Pace argued that military personnel should and would physically STOP acts of torture, not just report them. Hard to claim the moral high ground while watching acts of torture. Which brings us to...


...1,000 executions in this country since 1977. Many of these were in the electric chair, though most states use something else now, since electrocution is "cruel and unusual punishment". Number 1,001 is scheduled for Dec. 13th here in California. I hope Gov. Schwarzenegger, who added the word Rehabilitation back to the Department of Corrections, will find a reason to commute Stan William's sentence. (Kudos to Gov. Mark Warner, who commuted a death sentence because evidence that might have been tested for DNA had been destroyed.)Again -- judge not lest ye be judged. (Photo from www.ccadp.org)

As to the question of who should be a judge, Senator Arlen Specter, Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, had some comments about Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito. Despite comments in 1985 (I'm paraphrasing) that the constitution doesn't guarantee the right to an abortion, and a role in helping the President Reagan's administration attack the Roe vs. Wade decision, Sen. Specter seems to believe he could be impartial on the issue. I hope he's right, and I'd like to believe him, but he's been known to invent odd theories to fit the facts.

Can you say "magic bullet", children? I knew you could. (Picture from www.jfk-assassination.de)

Back to the furniture. Here is the sofa, which I slept on the night I got it. Next to it is the leather bench/ottoman/coffee table I am anxiously awaiting from Oysterbed. I got my dining set there as well. Pretty nice stuff at reasonable prices, and the woman who works there is a sweetie. If you need furniture, check them out at www.oysterbed.com -- I think they ship.



As always, comments are welcome. For you who are wondering, I haven't contacted the man in Cleveland. But someone from Cleveland read my blog -- I can dream, can't I. Someone from the US State Department also read it -- so my paranoia may be reasonable, if misplaced, and I will continue to criticize politicians using the utmost respect.

The most helpful comments this time would be y'all's opinion on this: What color/kind of carpet should I get to go with teak floors, olive microfiber furniture, a leather ottoman, off white walls, and a brick fireplace? (Or is it already hopeless?) I'm leaning towards a dark orange shag, but interior design is not my forte.

If you're wondering about the photo credits/links, my blogging guru said it was more responsible blogging. If you want to see a real blog, check him out at www.chadfox.com (though I think most of you got here from there). I'm working the next 10 days straight (well, consecutively), so I may try to spend more time in Blogland, and less at Badlands. Be afraid, be very afraid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free webpage hit counter